
-I just had to put up a picture of the kids reading to the 1st graders last week, it was so sweet!
I wanted to write about a few of the routines of Mr. Pye’s classroom. He has so many wonderful ideas that he’s developed for his classroom that I’d love to remember to use someday in my class. I’m seeing more that it’s ok to take ideas that you like from other teachers. I would change them some to make them my own, but it’s ok to copy as a teacher, because what matters most is that the students learn and grow, not that the teacher is really creative or original. That’s really freeing for me to understand more because I get stressed out easily when I think I have to make everything up myself. So many teacher’s at KIA are willing to help and share what they’ve learned with me!
A year-long project the students are working on in Mr. Pye’s class is writing autobiographies. They end up being 12 chapters long and cover just about every aspect of their life and how they see the world as a fifth grader. I think even a couple years from now, they’ll look back on those and enjoy reading what was important to them at 10 years old and laugh a lot too I’m sure. Another thing I really like that Mr. Pye does is have the students keep a pr@yer diary throughout the year. One day a week, he takes one class period to go over all the students’ requests from the year and record when they’ve been answered. Then they share new requests, write each of them down in their notebooks, and we pr@y for them together. I love to hear their requests and how they care for each other in their pr@yers. Mr. Pye wants to teach them how important that is by dedicating a good amount of class time to it. He works hard to show the students what is important by doing what he says. So much of the day involves hands-on projects and is much more student oriented than teacher oriented. It’s obvious how much Mr. Pye cares about his students and loves what he does!

No comments:
Post a Comment