
-Downtown Kunming- a busy place!
The kids are off of school now. Yesterday was a bit tough because they were really already on vacation and it was almost impossible to keep their attention! I don’t blame them at all, but it was frustrating experiencing it from a teacher’s standpoint! Many of them are traveling for the Chinese New Year break. (Chun Jie in Chinese) Quite a few go to Thailand or to other provinces in China. I’m seeing a lot of fireworks around the city already- I hear this is only the beginning!
So today I was at school at 9 for our work day- it was wonderful to sleep in! We had a 3-hr. meeting all morning. Most of it was watching professional development videos and discussing them. One of the videos was on lesson planning, which was really good timing for me as that’s what I’ll be doing for most of the next 2 weeks! I’m getting to know more of the other elementary teachers- many of them are around my age. They’re really nice and are happy to help me with ideas for the class. Right now I’m planning a unit on research writing with Grace, the other fifth grade teacher. It’s fun sharing ideas with her and coming up with a plan together. We’ll be teaching the unit in both fifth grade classes at the same time after the break.
After our meeting, a bunch of teachers went to a little shop down the street for lunch- it was quite the experience getting our food. First you choose what you want and pay for it, then they give you a card in Chinese saying what it is. Then you have to push your way through the crowd to give your card to the cooks. If you stand and wait politely, you’ll never get your food.

No comments:
Post a Comment