This was a special evening for the fifth grade. Every month, Mr. Pye has a family fun night with a different theme each time. Tonight was our Valentine’s “date night.” We weren’t in school for Valentine’s Day, so this was to make up for that. The girls came with their dads and the boys came with their moms. The kids prepared a lot for this evening. The main event was a puppet show about love that everyone was involved in: I even had a part- my first experience with puppets! Yesterday I talked to the class about good manners to have on a date and conversation starters they could use. (Mr. Pye wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be adults talking to adults and kids to kids the whole time.) I started out my talk asking them what not to do during the evening. They were really good at thinking up things for that! So funny. :) Eventually we did talk about what to do, and I think they all did very well tonight at making it a lovely evening for their “dates.” I just wish my date could’ve been here to join me. :(
I really like the idea of having family fun nights for the class. It’s a great way to get to know the kids outside of school, and also spend time with their families. It also shows the kids more that you care about them. One mom tonight was telling me that she asked her son why Mr. Pye was such a great teacher. He answered, “He really loves kids!” That’s for sure; I don’t think any of the students doubt that. It’s so important for your students know you love them, believe in them, and care about them as people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment