Today my TEFL skills were put to the test- I “helped out” in 2 English classes this morning. The first class was K-2nd grade. They were absolutely adorable, but by the end of class, I was thankful to be teaching 5th grade this semester! That class I was just an assistant, but when I went to help out in the older kids’ class afterwards, Mr. Pye informed me 5 minutes before class that he wanted me to teach the lesson. He said I could say no if I wanted to, but I decided to try it. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. There were only 7 kids in the class, but they were at all different levels in English. Of course, I don’t know any Chinese, so it was hard to communicate with most of them. I mostly went by what their textbook said to do. I’m gonna teach again next weekend (this time I get to prepare a bit before class!), so I’m going to try to find some different activities to go along with the lesson for the kids. After English class, I got to experience a Chinese walmart, which was very memorable. I enjoyed the differences until I saw an aquarium full of frogs for sale. (and we weren’t in the pet section) Other experiences of the day: going to a Chinese DVD store, (each one is for sale for less than a dollar), going to a store that sells traditional crafts from all over Yunnan province that supports a ministry to deaf people in Kunming, buying noodles for dinner on the street and having a picnic in a park while watching old men exercising to traditional music. Very random day, but it was fun and I definitely learned a lot!
No comments:
Post a Comment