
Today I went to my first Chinese McDonalds! Somehow it was a lot more exciting here than at home. J It actually wasn’t much different, (except in place of the apple pies, they had red bean pies, and you could get corn instead of French fries.) Right across the street from McDonalds there are these ancient gates that used to be part of the Silk Road. They are so beautiful! It’s such a mix of new and old here. Some interesting cultural experiences:
-trying to cross the street with cars, buses, bikes, motorbikes (sometimes carrying 3-4 people) all vying for position. Sometimes you have to wait a while to you can cross- there are no crosswalks here.
-walking down the street and seeing a man pulling a cart carrying a freshly slaughtered pig (for those of you that know how much I appreciate seeing stuff like that, you can imagine how I reacted)
I’m trying to just take it all in and appreciate their culture. Some things are really different, some not so much. I’m learning a lot and I really love it!

No comments:
Post a Comment