

-a couple more random photos from Beijing that don't really go with the rest of this post!
Today I was at school till 6 grading research papers. That’s the latest I’ve stayed at school since I’ve been here. Lately I’ve gotten a bit too relaxed about things (why do today what I can put off till tomorrow?) Anyway, I needed to get back on track! I think grading fairly is one of the hardest things about teaching. It’s hard to be tough when you hear from one of your favorite students, “But Miss Brown, could I please turn my paper in tomorrow instead of today, I forgot to bring it home to work on and then I wasn’t feeling well, and then…” I’m always amazed the students still like me when I do have to be tough. “I’m sorry, it was due today, I’ll have to take points off if you bring it late.” They’re used to this and know how to accept it.
Today I also wrote a newsletter to the parents and the kids about what we’ve been doing and how to prepare for what’s coming up next week: SAT 10 (standardized) testing! I felt very official. Next week I’ll be giving them their tests, and teaching them how to fill the bubbles on the answer documents right, and answering many questions I’m sure. I find it a bit ironic that I’ll be the one giving these tests to the kids. I remember taking the same ones every single year in school- bringing my nicely sharpened #2 pencils to class and reading the same examples for the “reading comprehension” section of the test year after year. (I’m really curious to see if they’ll still have the same examples, especially the sample story, “Rick’s Wait”- they always had that one!)
Tomorrow is April 1st and I’m a little wary about what might happen. I’ll try my best to be prepared for anything and above all: not to be gullible! (nearly impossible for me, but I’ll try)

Following your blog with great interest. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
ReplyDeleteMike White
I am so glad to have your blog to read. It is fun to hear your take on teaching. 14 years later I am still saying the same kinds of things...in fact just finding time to read your blog has taken me embarrassing long!
ReplyDeleteAnd on that subject, I have to edit reports for parent tonight so I will dash, but I look forward to reading about SAT week. We are also gearing up for SATs--I guess teaching is the same around the world:) Mrs. Pierce
Thanks! I'm glad you all are enjoying reading my blog :)
ReplyDelete