
-They definitely take their decorations seriously here
I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve updated this! Here’s what’s been going on: this week is just as busy as last, maybe more! I’m teaching basically all day again. My schedule’s a bit different though. Each morning, I’ll be in the fourth grade classroom for 45 minutes teaching their unit on the book, Number the Stars. Then I’ll be in my class until 1:00 when I go to the other fifth grade class to teach math.
All this change was apparently too much for my mind to handle, because today just as I was getting into my Bible lesson, the teacher from next door came over and I realized to my shame that I had gotten my timing mixed up. I had somehow thought their math class was a half hour later than it actually was. So, after a hasty explanation to my confused class, I headed next door to teach math. They were all ready for me, so I jumped right into my lesson. I’m sure the first few things I said didn’t make too much sense as I tried to make the jump from teaching Bible teaching to math. Thankfully their teacher said the lesson went well which I was very glad to hear.
After math, I hurried back to my class to finish the Bible lesson and then went right into science. We started our astronomy unit today. I’m really excited about it and I think the kids are too. I asked them at the end of the lesson what things they are most interested in learning about astronomy. They came up with some very interesting questions. I’ll try to research the ones the book doesn’t cover to answer for them. I know I’ll learn a lot in this unit along with the class!
There are many difficult things about being a teacher, but I’m somehow realizing more that one of the hardest is switching gears quickly. In one day you go from being an English “expert” to a math “expert” to science… without much time in between each subject. That’s a lot to keep track of! (especially if you tend to be a bit scatterbrained :)

No comments:
Post a Comment